from Martha Stewart (yes i have two or three of her mags. i admit it!) Holiday cookies, 2001.
it was all done with good intentions. i bought packs and packs of dried coconut (i found an unsweetened brand without preservatives) and had everything i needed. i was going to put this into my cookie gift tins. but the days before Christmas things just got so hectic that i ran out of time. anyway. more for my kids.
(i just HAD to make spumoni cookies though…required daw ito sabi ng panganay ko.)
* 1 3/4 cups sugar
* 5 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
* 7 large egg whites
* 1 pinch salt
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vegetable shortening
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, using your hands, mix together sugar, coconut, egg whites, and salt. Add butter and extracts, and combine well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Moisten palms of hands with cold water. Roll 1 tablespoon of the coconut mixture in palms, squeezing tightly together 2 or 3 times to form a compact ball. Place ball on a clean surface, and using a spatula, flatten one side at a time to form a pyramid shape.
3. Place pyramids on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart, and bake until edges are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Leave on baking sheet on a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Place chocolate and shortening in a small heat-proof bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water; stir occasionally until melted. Dip top 1/2 inch of each pyramid in the melted chocolate. Set each dipped macaroon on cooled baking sheet to allow chocolate to harden.